All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jack in the Box


Like any normal human being, when scared by an unexpected stimulus, I react. I really do not believe I am any more jumpy than your average person, just normal flight or fight response. Why am I explaining this? It is simple, once you have been pegged for being easily frightened, word gets around. At work I now have a reputation for being jumpy, easily frightened, however you would like to put it. If you had people sneaking up behind you and poking around corners, I suspect that you may also have a similar reaction. Apparently I have a wonderful one, since it is now the goal of several individuals at work, to experience it whenever possible.


It all began yesterday... It was a typical crazy Saturday, everyone busy complaining and whining that we had to work. I believe I may have made the mistake of suggesting that individuals make the best of the situation. This is how two particular men did. I was leaving to get lunch. It was already 3pm and I was literally walking out the door when one of these men flagged me down and asked me to give them further instruction. I begged and pleaded for them to ask the other staff member so I could go, but they insisted it would only be a moment and that I was the only one who could help them. So I follow this man down to the processing area in the back. There was a huge cardboard box, which we call a gaylord, that was half full of donated clothing and a metal bin also half full of clothing. He asked me to look at it and let him know if we should combine the two and free up the metal bin. As I look into the box to see what was included, another man who had been hiding under the clothing in the box, came jumping out at me. Clothes flying and arms flailing, I jumped back and screamed in terror. My heart was racing and I could barely breathe. Then came the roars of laughter echoing from the entire back area. Cheers were going out and, do you want to know the biggest concern? That it was too bad it was not caught on camera to be enjoyed by those not present.


I have never understood the fun in the toy jack in the box. But I guess after this experience I can deduce that the enjoyment does not come from the poor unfortunate soul that is frightened, but by the onlookers watching. The silver lining in this scenario, I have already come up with the perfect retaliation. At the risk of this being read by someone that could forewarn these small town tricksters, I am going to leave the details to the post prank post. Until then I will continue to live by this one simple phrase, I do not get mad; I get even.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment