All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Tuesday, December 21, 2010

If I were a snowman, my name would be Carl


I hope this little story warms your heart during this Christmas season. As I am leaving to go home soon, this may be one of the last work stories until 2011. Apparently in addition to be easily frightened, I am also extremely gullible. I was working one morning when two of our dock workers came in upset about a new volunteer that had offered service that morning. "He does not do anything. He cannot follow even simple instructions. In fact, he is standing by the stop sign like a lump of snow. We need you to find something he can do while he volunteers." They said his name was Carl, and even talking to him was a chore. I was about to call for morning meeting, but assured them I would find a project he could work on after we met together. I paged everyone up and we began. Suddenly I realized that this new volunteer was not there, and asked where he was. The dock workers said that he did not want to come in, but would rather stand in the freezing snow. I felt horrible. In my mind I pictured this poor man standing in the snow, feeling unwelcome and frustrated (probably having sensed the frustration with our own workers). My co-worker offered to go out and invite him in to the warm store.


When my co-worker returned, he was alone. I could not believe that this man still refused to come in. My co-worker said he would not come in and gave the dock workers a strange look and said something I could not hear. At that point I thought, I am not letting this man stand in the snow. I handed the meeting over to my supervisor and was determined to help this person feel comfortable enough to come in. I raced down the ramp, through processing and out the back doors into the freezing, snowy air. I looked around, but could not find a man outside. Then I walked back towards the stop sign. That is when I saw him. Carl. He stood about four feet tall, pale complexion and large ears. He had on a blue volunteer's apron and stood motionless in the overcast, blustery day. It was then that I realized why he did not want to come in to the warm store, he would have melted. Yes Carl, our new volunteer, was a snowman. He stood valiantly welcoming donators, and I think worked harder than most of the men out there. Alas he left this good facility on Sunday December 19, 2010 when warmer temperatures got the best of him. Rest in peace Carl, you will be missed by all. But I have a feeling he will be back as soon as Mother Nature allows.

1 comment: