All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Thursday, December 23, 2010

Anniversary of my ride on the luggage carousel


The time has come dear friends and strangers, to celebrate the anniversary of my ride on the luggage carousel. This is a long one, but I think worth it. Many of you may have heard this story told over the years, and for others this may be your first time. I hope to capture in writing the experience that will never leave my memory. Why now? That is easy, I never had a blog to record it before and I just flew home for Christmas, and as I waited for my checked bag to come, I instantly went back to that fateful day. It was after the Christmas holiday, the Sunday before classes began on campus. I was flying from Denver, CO to Salt Lake City, UT. The day had begun with an early drive to the airport, followed by announcements of possible delays due to snow. We were informed to remain close to the gate because once we were cleared to take off, we were going to take advantage of it. They were not sure if it would be fifteen minutes or hours. Well about 30 minutes later we got the good news, we were cleared to take off. I have never seen a plane get boarded that quickly. My plan is always the same, sit as close to the front as possible in order to get off as quickly as possible and get my luggage. The plan seemed to be working perfectly, I was one of the first people off the plane and made it to luggage carousel 2 rapidly. No one was around, and I was thinking about how quickly I would get my bag and go home with my aunt.


After waiting about 20 minutes I looked around to find seemingly hundreds of people, and something like 10 flights blinked on to the screen. Apparently there were a good number of flights that had been cleared to take off, and we were all arriving at the same time. People were pushing and shoving, and as the luggage began to come, I realized it was not my flight and moved to the back of the crowd. After about 40 minutes I saw a girl from my flight get her bag. I moved quickly to the front and saw one of my bags coming off the ramp, victory!!! As I made my way up to grab it I saw something. The furry slippers that I had gotten for Christmas were staring, looming out of where the zipper should seal them, and there was a seam of colors along the edge. My heart dropped as I realized that although my bag was closed, the zipper had popped and was in a precarious position. Quick on my feet I formulated a plan. As it came by I would simply hold the suitcase shut as I pulled it off the luggage carousel and fixed the zipper. Brilliant, I thought! I waited patiently until it came around, but I could not reach it at the back. Not in any hurry to test fate, I figured I would wait until it came around again, that was a very different idea than what the man next to me thought. He looked over and said, "Is that one yours? I will get it". Before I could stop him he grabbed the handle and yanked. The bag opened and strewn the entirety of its contents onto the carousel. "I think I made it worse", is what he said as he placed the empty suitcase down and left.


Ok, new plan. There were too many people to follow it around, although I knew exactly where it was. Location was evident by the gasps that escaped the mouths of onlookers as it made its way around. I wanted to stand up and shout, "Nobody panic! It's mine." I decided the best thing to do would be to grab armfuls as it came by and dump it into the bag, grab and dump. As it came around the first time, kind people tried to assist by grabbing things for me. (Side note: people do not look you in the eye when handing you your undergarments, it is more of an unspoken eyes lowered exchange) So I fly into action, grab an armful of clothing and go to turn and drop, when it happens. I try to turn and drop and I am caught on something. I am suddenly very aware that in some way my sweatshirt is caught and I cannot stop myself from being drug by the carousel.


I am hunched over unable to escape and pushing people out of the way saying, "I can't stop! I can't stop!" (Additional side note: as this was happening the people I am pushing out of the way are actually glaring at me, like this was some sort of choice. Thanks) As I look up I see what is ahead, that stupid metal pillar looming in the ever approaching distance. What the purpose of this pillar is, I am still unaware. However, when they talk about an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object, I think they had moments like this in mind. I hit the pillar and fall backwards onto the luggage carousel. With my foot wrapped around it and having luggage hitting me in the back of the head, I feel a bulge in my pocket and realize what has trapped me in this tragic situation. As I had bent over to grab and dump, the wheel of another suitcase had gotten stuck in my pocket, thus taking me on this spectacular ride. I yank it out and here the voice of a man yell, "Don't worry, I got you!" He grabs my hand and I go flying off the carousel, miraculously landing on my feet. I look up and barely utter thank you, as this hero of mine replies, "No problem" and walks away. Needless to say, after nine times around I gathered what I am pretty sure was all of my belongs, left my pride at the airport and exited Salt Lake with the memory of my ride on the luggage carousel.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! This is my favorite story from you, and although reading it wasn't quite the same as hearing you tell it, it was great to have a dose of Jessica Story today! I hope your trip back to Utah this year is a little smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Liz said. My only wish is that there was a video of this going on...I think you would win the grand prize on any Funniest Video show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for finally posting this story, it is my absolute favorite. Have a safe trip and a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete