All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Every small town needs a good haunting...


So I am definitely not a fan of all things haunted. Every once in a while I will watch a scary movie (mild to say the least), but other than that I avoid all things supernatural. I absolutely do not, I repeat do not, go to haunted houses. I broke this rule only once in high school, and it ended very badly. But that's another story. Starting just a few weeks after moving here and beginning work, the haunting stories began. The people I work with when I close the store told me of all the various sightings that have been reported over the years, and the ones most recently. Here is the information I was told.

There is the ghost of a man the walks in the basement. Many have seen him and all describe him the same way. One of the individuals that works here knows who this man is. Before the store was built, the land was a used car lot. This man worked there and was married to a relative of her ex-husbands. He was an avid drug user and ended up killing himself. He has been on the grounds since. I have heard these stories numerous times, and have chosen to live in ignorant bliss. The fact that we close at seven and it was still light out made this relatively easy. Well... the fun is over.

Today was a gloomy, rainy day. Which I usually love, because there is almost nothing in this world better than the smell of rain. But a gloomy day means a very early, dark night. So tonight especially, with the weather playing into the mood, the stories began. By the time the three of us were ready to finish the last check of all doors and locks, it was nearly black in the vast space in back and you could hear the rain hitting the roof. Outside we checked everything huddled into a very tight circle, the two women even holding hands at times when they thought they heard something. I for one, was ready to leave. They wait just outside the door as I set the alarm. I went to set it like every other night when is displayed the words that sent a chill down my spine "alarm not engaged, basement door ajar". The first thought that ran through my mind, "are you freaking kidding me?" I mean, why tonight of all nights, this has never happened and now I have to go down there. Well not alone. I grab the two woman and we start down to the basement. I begin by turning on every light we pass and we stay very close together. Down the stars into relative darkness we go, when sure enough the boiler room door is ajar. I do not think I have ever grabbed a door and shut it as quickly as this one. Once back upstairs and ready to alarm again, another error message. "Alarm not engaged, motion censor activated". Nooooooo!!! Luckily for me, I was the motion it sensed and the next try armed is right up. After all is locked we walk around to our cars nervously laughing about any other creepy occurrences, when headlights illuminate from behind. I don't think you've ever seen three adult women scurry so fast to their cars. Are the stories true? Is this place really haunted? I hope to never know for sure. Ignorant bliss please don't leave me now. As for a solution to the closing issue, the purchase of some safety precautions is in the near future. More to come...

6 comments:

  1. 1. I am glad the picture on this post is Casper the Friendly Ghost.

    2. I'm right there with ya - I hate being scared! Last year right after we started dating, I went to a haunted house with Mike and some people, and it freaked me out! (More so because Amanda went ahead of us and told everyone my name, so the whole time these creepy people were getting all up in my face saying, "Liz? Are you Liz?" It was scary!!!)

    3. I admire your braveness! There's no way I would have gone down to that basement, no matter who was with me. Way to go!

    4. I have now commented on 100% of your blog posts. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am sorry you had to go through this ordeal, I kind of wish I could have been a fly on the wall ;)
    I work with a bunch of people who look online for haunted places in the area (from about Logan down to Tooele). I laugh at them, but have not accepted an invitation to go with them (for obvious reasons). Good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Jessica you are so funny, but that would freak me out to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain... There's stories about my working being haunted too!!! Trust me I'm freaked as well. And we close at 8 when it's dark!

    Just don't believe in ghosts and it wont happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand Jess. I had a mission companion that decided to tell me about her experiences with seeing ghosts while walking back to the apartment at a nice and dark 9 o'clock at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I close like three days a week, but I told our dock guys that they had to stay with us until we get to our cars from now on! The funniest part is I am pretty sure they are plotting things to scare me now... I will definitely let you guys know :)

    ReplyDelete