All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Thursday, October 21, 2010

Annie Oakley I Am NOT!


So I went to my first ward activity down here and in true small town fashion it was skeet shooting. Now I am not sure who came up with the name skeet, or why, but I thought this would be a great experience to try out. A little background... I had never even held a shotgun before, and only just recently shot a handgun for the first time. I was extremely nervous about how this would go. I had heard all the urban legends and old wives tales about people being knocked off their feet from the kick, dislocated shoulders, accidentally shooting others in their party, you name... I heard and imagined it. So the day came and I think the others underestimated my lack of experience. When they handed me the shotgun I tried to remember all the advice I had been given from the men at work. Which was not hard because they all said the same thing. Hold it tight to your shoulder, or it will hurt. Then came trying to load the thing. When you ask an expert hunter how to load a gun, the look of disbelief is hard to miss. Then when you have to ask them to slow it down to say "normal speed" so you can tell what they are doing, shock is unmistakable. After years of college and graduate school, when did I feel the most incompetent? Right then. After all was said and done, weapon loaded, the others were here to play. We played a game called Annie Oakley, and for those like me who have no idea what that means, you basically stand in a line and take turns saying pull and if you miss hitting the target the next person can try and so on. If someone after you hits a target or pigeon you missed, you are out. The game continues until the last man or woman is standing.

The first round, I got to try twice before getting out. And the second round once. The third I bribed the guy after me to miss so I could practice some more. He was very kind and did. As soon as I was out, he miraculously never missed again. He is ace in my book. Here is the only issue with a game like that, when you cannot see really where you shot (all you know is you missed) it is hard to compensate. Overall, I hit nothing, but I also hit no one. So skeet shooting adventure is deemed successful in my book. Last thing of note, I think what may help me fit in a bit more here is to not be the only one without a big belt buckle... Just a thought. Also in case you were wondering (because I know you must be dying of interest) only one bruise and no falling over or dislocated shoulders. I don't think I will be joining any hunting parties in the near future, I was informed that I would not be able to handle the kill. Mostly because I thought I ran over a rabbit once and cried until I saw the stupid thing run across the road in my rear view mirror and realized I had only hit a deep pothole. All I have to say is, Annie Oakley, you got game!

No comments:

Post a Comment