All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Saturday, June 11, 2011

Warning About Small Town X


Let us begin at the beginning. Small Town X has never been the travel destination for most. But while here, I have had a couple brave souls come to visit and see the place I have called home for the past nine months. Why brave? Because given any average weekend in Small Town X, crazy things can happen. This is a case and point example. One of my dearest friends came down for the weekend to visit me. Arriving on a Saturday, she met me at work and we began our Small Town X kickoff by going to the park and listening to the local high school jazz band concert. Not two minutes into the first song, did we begin to hear some guy yelling behind us. I could not understand what he was yelling, but could not believe that he would be so inconsiderate to these performers. As he ran closer to us, the reason was clear he was yelling for someone's phone to call 911. My friend handed him her iphone, which after several failed attempts he gave back yelling he needed a phone with keys. The group we were with had a nurse in the midst and she went right over to discover a man had slipped and fallen and tore a tendon in his leg. Despite all the commotion and the ambulance arrival, the band played on. So a rather dramatic start to the Small Town X experience. If only the drama had ended there. Our next stop, the local Walmart for some supplies. Once entering the parking lot, we were greeted by a nice man sitting in a camping chair next to his motor-home, in the Walmart parking lot drinking a beer. Needless to say, first impressions are lasting... But the highlight of this friend's trip had to be the next day after we left church and decided to go for a drive up to a local lake about 30 miles from Small Town X. We had heard it was beautiful and she had visited once as a child. We drove up and enjoyed the peacefulness and beauty all around us. Then the skies opened up and we decided to head back. A seemingly calm afternoon was then shattered by murder. Who is the murderer you ask? That would be me. While coming down the mountain I killed Bambi's mom. The weapon of choice (not by my own choice I might add), my car. Unfortunately, my dear friend (since I will no longer have any deer friends once word gets around) had to experience the moment of impact followed by my crying over the suffering animal as we waited for the local sheriff. The most important fact, neither of us were hurt, and it was the best case scenario for a poor situation. So after two days of jam packed 911 calls, local intoxication, and murder, I offer this one brief warning. Should you choose to ever venture to Small Town X, prepare yourself for the possibility of much more than you bargained for. Because things will come up around every turn (literally and figuratively). To this brave woman, I hope that at the very least, you had a one of a kind experience into Small Town X.

3 comments:

  1. I love love love the dear friend-deer friends pun in there. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of "excitement" is to be found in small town X :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. George and I should come visit. :)

    ReplyDelete