All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Thursday, June 16, 2011

A life lession learned


I can be a complainer. I try not to be, but as time goes by the urge to complain gets the best of me, and I find myself letting it out. Especially lately. I had been thinking over the past few weeks about how difficult life seems to have been. How much I was struggling despite all the blessings in my life. And tonight that urge got the best of me when I called my family upset over something that happened at work. As I sat in my car, feelings hurt and hope waning for a bit, I left for another job and never expected what would come next. After a full day of working in various settings and with differing groups of people, I sat in a small group talking about life and the challenges that we face. A woman I work with related the following story about her husband. Eleven years ago he was involved in a serious accident in a semi. The truck overturned and rolled and he was left with his face seriously injured and permanently paralyzed. After the accident he was without movement, sight or hearing. They were a family with 5 children under the age of nine, and now given the trial of a lifetime. At this point this man had a choice. With all that he was faced with, he could choose to be absorbed and overcome by his circumstance, or move forward despite the long and difficult road ahead. He chose to fight. He chose hope. And he decided that only in love, and not anger, would he find true happiness and joy. It was six months after the accident that he yelled from the bathroom to his wife. She ran to see what was wrong, when he answered, "I heard the towel dry my hair." After six months he could hear. She expressed how as she began to weep her first thought was that she had never known that the towel made a sound as it dried her hair. It was another three months before he began to regain his sight. Even eleven years later, smiling and facial expressions are not possible. But his family and friends have learned to see his emotions through his eyes. Even after all this time, the small victories are what continue to combat sorrow or resentment. He is now seeing the muscles in the corner of his mouth start to develop from shock treatments. The most incredible part of this remarkable story is the fact that through everything she says he has never once complained. At a time when he had the opportunity to decide the path he would take, he every day chooses happiness, strength, love and hope. He teaches those around him to never take for granted the small things, and that it is a conscious choice how we will allow experiences to affect us. I left tonight feeling full of gratitude for the lesson I had learned. Although I know that I will have times that may get the better of me, I hope I will carry this example with me always. That it will help me be a better person and keep a clear perspective of what is important. I must try and remember that life is not a destination, but a journey full of ups and downs, trials and tears, happiness and progression. To develop strength of character like this man is my sincere hope; that when the difficult days come I choose every time to make the best of every moment I am given. Without even knowing it, he has become a great source of inspiration and triumph for which I am unbelievably grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this today! I really needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Enough said. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing story! I love to read your blogs Jessica. You have an amazing ability to re-tell a story as if it is being told the first time. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete