All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Monday, June 6, 2011

Frugality: A Candle Too Far?


We live in a day and age of instant gratification and excess. If you want it, then buy it. If your neighbor has it, then you should have more. The differentiation between wants and needs has been seemingly lost in the desire to have it all. Growing up we were always encouraged to use it up, to ask ourselves if we really needed it, and if we did to save until we could afford it. These have been lessons, that although I sometimes struggle to maintain, have stuck with me throughout the years. But can one take frugality too far? Well I went home to celebrate my mother's birthday this weekend and what I saw in the kitchen is what sparked this train of thought. I went down one morning to heat up something for breakfast. My dad was down in the kitchen, and when I place the plate in the microwave I turned it on, but alas there was no reaction. The timer was counting down, however, there was no heat being inserted into the food within. My dad saw what was going on and looked at me giving me a knowing glance. I asked if the microwave was broken and he said, "No just grab the candle on top of it". My initial reaction was that he was pulling my leg, since he has a history of encouraging me to follow instructions that later lead to absurd ends. So I was instantly hesitated and resisted following his instructions. He confirmed to indeed grab the candle and stick it under the door of the microwave. I could not believe what he was telling me to do! But I did and sure enough the microwave roared to life and completed its timed process. I asked why it had not been replaced and he told me my mom said it still worked and she liked using the candle. Sure enough when I went to my mother, the woman who taught me our frugal nature, her reply was an exact match. Why replace it? It still works! I just started laughing. The picture is worth a thousand words as every time something needs to be heated in the microwave a candle protrudes out of the front. So is this act of frugality too much? Or would society be in better shape all around if every person exercised the same restraint over their unnecessary purchases? Or is there perhaps a middle ground where one can replace a candle run microwave and continue to be a responsible shopper? The answers to this question are individual and vary depending on the person being asked. As for this frugal shopper, I think that a new microwave is in this mom's future whether she likes it or not.

1 comment: