All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The new red light district


I recently got to visit Pompeii where I had the eye opening experience of the primary business for this destination. Prostitution. The cost for this activity, relatively the same as ordering two glasses of wine. As we toured the brothels and saw the carvings of a certain male body part in stone pointing in the direction of the nearest facility, I thought once I left, I had also left that piece of the world behind me. Apparently, Small Town X had another idea. I got back to work and had one more encounter with a she-wolf as it were. I was working in the office, when one of my associates came in asking for a safety pin. I looked around and finally located one. When I asked her what she needed it for, the answer caught me a little off guard. Incidentally, we had placed a doll that was donated, for sale on the collections case. I have included a picture of this doll for you to see. She is an old western style bar maid, that adorned some fish net stockings underneath a high slitted skirt. One of our more "mature" customers had come in to shop, seen the doll and was appalled that we would sell such a "brazen hussy". Yes ladies and gentlemen, apparently we are the new red light district for this small town. She insisted that we make her more modest and pin her skirt shut, as it is in the picture. Who knew that thousands of miles away and an ocean apart, the legacy of my time in Pompeii would reveal itself right in my own store, in the form of a porcelain doll now to be forever known as the brazen hussy of Small Town X.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! I love reading your posts, Jessica. You have such a funny way of telling these stories. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome and crazy about Pompeii.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally want to buy the "Brazen Hussy" if it's still there when I come down for Memorial Weekend. Let me know and I'll stop by and see you, which I'd love to do even if she's gone by then. Anyways, that's my way of saying hope I get a chance to see you at the end of the month. And that I love all of your stories, especially since I can picture Small Town "X" perfectly while you relate your tales and I laugh my head off every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far she is totally still here :) I would love to see you Memorial Weekend. I think I will be down here so definitely let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to be there so I'll call you if you still have the same phone number.

    ReplyDelete