All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My own personal soapbox




Why the blog today? Well here is the truth. I went to commencement and was mad. I wrote a letter to the editor for the local paper, and because I have no control over whether it gets published, I wanted to get on my own soapbox for a moment and at least have it out there. There is something therapuetic about at least putting it out and feeling heard. So because my actual letter may end up in the archives never to be heard from again, I am giving it a short lived life here in cyberspace. Take or leave it, now it at least exists somewhere.


Commencement is not a political soapbox.
I have to say congratulations to the most recent graduates from Snow College Small Town X campus. All of whom worked diligently at their crafts or specialties in order to receive certificates and degrees to advance them on to the next stage of their lives. This was my first time attending a commencement here, and I anticipated the event with excitement for those I cheered on. Upon completion of the ceremony I was speechless. Which was a far cry from the commencement speaker Senator Okerlund. I have been to my fair share of graduations, both where I participated and attended for others. The approach that speakers gave varied dramatically, however the messages were similar. They were messages of support, congratulations, and encouragement for this new chapter in their lives. As the Senator took the podium I was excited to hear his words of advice, guidance, and support. Instead I listened to his political agenda and the graduate’s share of the national debt. Some of the points discussed included land rights, the poor economy, run off concerns for the area, gas prices, the length of time officials should be allowed to serve in office and the rest of his current political agenda. What I did not hear was a commencement speaker addressing the graduates. After hearing their portion of the national debt and its crippling effects on an economy that will be difficult to get a job in, I watched the faces fall on the day every graduate should have been full of excitement on. I remained seated shocked at the inappropriateness of the subject matter. If this was a convention focused on local and national politics, then the speech would have been well delivered and potentially well received. Mentioning the graduates in the last few moments before the conclusion was insufficient for the role he accepted to take. I appreciate the Senator’s passion for his position and the dedication that he has for the people and businesses in his jurisdiction. At the same time, I feel that it was an opportunity lost for the well deserving graduates to be given congratulations, well wishes, and a similar passion for what each of their futures hold. It may not mean much coming from me, but congratulations graduates of the class of 2011. Times may be difficult, and there may be obstacles to overcome, but you are strong, capable and full of potential to change the course of history. Do not allow what you are told cannot be done from stopping you from doing what you know can be. You have limitless potential and will make a significant and meaningful contribution to society and the world. Good luck in all your future endeavors and know that there is nothing that is out of your grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment