All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Sunday, April 10, 2011

Buongiorno! Being back is surreal...



There once was a girl living in a small town, that went on the trip of a lifetime. This is her story.
Dramatic, right?

Well now on to the the rest of the story. I am just back from Italy where I spent 2 weeks traveling and learning and literally having experiences that I could never have imagined. I went with my best friend and some of her family and halfway through the trip was surprised by the 3rd musketeer in our trio and her mom. A very quick overview: I started the trip flying into Rome and going to the Almafi coast staying in Positano. While there we went to Almafi, Ravello, Sorrento and Capri. After that we traveled to Pompeii and then spent the last 9 days in Roma, Tivoli, and Ostio Antica. It was indescribable, and to include everything that happened would be impossible. The shortened version we typed up at the end of every day ended up 21 pages long, so putting it on here is an impossibility. So I thought I would just share a few experiences that touched, changed or challenged me to grow. So here is one of each.

The first and third (touched and challenged me) went hand in hand. I may be a small town resident now, but I grew up in southern California. I never shied away from large cities. But entering Rome was like nothing I have ever experienced. Driving in the city was like taking your life into your own hands. Every cobble stoned street was enclosed by large buildings, almost like walking through any alley way wherever you were. There were always people everywhere around you. And my first night was overwhelming to say the least. Culture shock was a new experience, and I did not like it. So the next day we started out, and I thought I would never feel comfortable there, until we were walking down a tiny road in between shops when we turned the corner and there it was, the Pantheon. It was majestic. Out of congestion and seeming chaos, there in front of me was grandeur. When I walked into the enormous structure, it was magical. You felt the sacredness there, the history and the wonder. It was at that moment that Rome transformed for me. I understood its allure, the life it held, and what going out of your comfort zone offered a person. It offered perspective and moments that literally brought tears to your eyes.

The place that most touched me was also in Rome, at the holy stairs. Here individuals would climb the stairs, which can only be done on ones knees. Every stair a prayer given, faith and commitment witnessed and respect shown. I watched silently as a nun kissed every step before she lifted her knees to offer herself up. It was moving, and made me grateful for every opportunity I have been given, including being able to witness events such as this. The people, although so different than myself, were similar in so many ways. I saw the kindness, acts of chivalry, moments of frustration and sadness, and joy. Our experiences may have taken place in distance parts of the world, but hopes and dreams brought us together. I came to love these people, and I wished I could spend more time with them. To really thank them for all the things they taught me about the world, its stories and myself. I cannot wait to explore on our next adventure, wherever that may take us. Until then, small town life will resume, and I will take what I have learned and keep the memories close to my heart. Until next time dear friends, ciao.

As soon as I get the pictures downloaded I will include the ones we took, until then here are ones from online.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast and I am very jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Jessica! I started getting a little teary reading this post. I adore Europe, though I have never had a chance to go to Italy, and I love what you said about loving people who are different than you and recognizing your similarities. Thank you for posting this! I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sistine Chapel did that for me, and the Basilica of St Peter. Those cathedrals in Europe emanate dedication and devotion to God. It truly is amazing!

    ReplyDelete