All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Perception is Everything


Things are not always as they seem. However, on an almost daily basis we make snap judgments. We evaluate situations and make rash decisions based on little information. This is a necessity, but so often we are incorrect in our assumptions. This little example offers a humorous story to illustrate this conundrum. We have a volunteer at my work that comes in on a regular basis. He is one of the culprits of the previously blogged about pranks. He enjoys finding funny, unusual hats and apparel and models them while working. This particular day he had discovered a princess Cinderella tiara which he wore with pride while assisting customers. An older woman came back asking for assistance with some beds. As he offered his services she asked each of four women in the office if we had dressed him this morning, to which we replied, no mam. He gladly helped her and after finishing came back laughing hysterically. When I inquired into what was so funny, he told me that he had just been asked the most hilarious question. As the older woman walked away she asked him, "So what does he look like?" Confused he asked her to repeat the question. "So what does he look like?" As understanding came to the surface, he blushed and responded, "Actually I am married to a beautiful young woman." Slightly stunned and staring at the tiara she politely walked away.


This got me thinking about how often we make rash judgments in our daily lives. We are given small amounts of information, experience or knowledge and from that draw our own conclusions. How can this be changed? Here is my best guess, and I say guess because that is the most I can offer. Perhaps rather than comparing ourselves to others in the way we interact and treat those around us, we can continually strive to be better versions of ourselves. Cut out the judgment altogether. This quote states it far better than I can, "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." Although this was a funny story that brought laughs and giggles throughout the day, it was a lesson for me. A lesson about what kinds of conclusions I draw about the people around me, and how inaccurate they can be. I will fail and fail again, but I think the key will be to never stop trying.

1 comment:

  1. What a funny story. I appreciate the post. Just the other day I was thinking about how I need to stop judging others because I don't know them or their circumstances. What a great reminder this post is for me.

    ReplyDelete