All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to save a life


When I began this blog, I created it with the intention of writing predominately of the funny, out of sort, whacky kind of moments that I imagined made up small town life. Although some have been exactly that, many have been born of trial or difficulty and have presented an opportunity to share introspection and growth. This is also one such post. Perhaps during my time in Small Town X, I am supposed to learn more about life, love and loss. About the depth of human nature, and the strength that can only be found in times of hardship. Last week a man I worked with in my former life died unexpectedly. He was a good man, and had touched many lives, mine included. I had a weekend full of tender mercies. For those who may not have heard this term before, tender mercies include those experiences or opportunities that were given to me not by chance or circumstance, but rather a gift from a source far greater than myself. I had left my new small town home to visit what now qualifies as the "big city". I was in for a conference, but two miraculous events took place during my stay. My godson was born the morning after I arrived, and the funeral/memorial service for this man was the morning before I left. This weekend I literally experienced life come full circle. Just as one had left this mortal existence, another entered. But what I wanted to share came from the lesson I learned at the memorial.


This was one of the most touching services I have ever attended. It was filled with co-workers, family, friends and many that were all of those combined. This man's life had been anything but easy. Upon first meeting him, he appeared to many as frightening or at the least intimidating. He was tall in stature, with tattoos covering much of his skin. But what was emphasized continuously by all that shared their love for this man, was that more than being tall in stature, he was great in character. To the stranger he may have appeared quiet or reserved. But within that unassuming exterior came wisdom and love that extended to all he came across. There were no requirements to earn this man's affection, he freely offered up all he had to those around him. To a woman struggling with an abusive partner, he expressed respect and love. He offered quiet reminders of her worth and substance. He strengthened and lifted her. To a man literally drowning in a turbulent sea, he without hesitation risked personal safety to save him. The amazing part is that by being who he was he saved many of us. Perhaps not by swimming and pulling us out of treacherous waters, but by being compassionate, kind, earnestly listening and being a constant beacon of the good all humanity has to offer. There is no doubt that he knew what was required to save lives, he did it every moment he lived. And now those lessons and his example live on in each one of us. He will be greatly missed and never forgotten. This could not have been made more evident than by a poem written by of his co-workers and friends:


Don't think of him as gone away

His journey's just begun

Life holds so many facets

This earth is only one


Just think of him as resting

From the sorrows and the tears

In a place of warmth and comfort

Where there are no days and years


Think how he must be wishing

That we could know today

How nothing but our sadness

Can really pass away


And think of him as living

In the hearts of those he touched

For nothing loved is ever lost

And he was loved so much

~DW

No comments:

Post a Comment