All of life is a journey; which paths we take, what we look back on, and what we look forward to is up to us. We determine our destination, what kind of road we will take to get there, and how happy we are when we get there.



Monday, November 22, 2010

The Great Garter Caper


Today's post is one of those moments in time that you think, I am an idiot and then laugh your head off afterwards. Allow me to explain. One of my best friends, my soul sister, got married to the love of her life last week. The wedding was Friday, so the last minute craziness ensued on Thursday. I got to come up and be part of the pre-nuptial fun. We had spent the day running errands such as going past the florist, last minute tux adjustments, facials, and picking up pictures. As the day was coming to an end, her fiance reminded her that she needed a garter for the reception. Now the bride-to-be was not a fan of the garter toss. However, the groom-to-be felt otherwise and wanted the tradition to remain at their reception. So off for this last errand we went, racing against time to get to the hall to set up for the reception. My first suggestion was David's Bridal. I knew where it was and figured, they must have them there. This plan was inherently flawed, however, because it was know by everyone in the free world, other than myself of course, that they are very expensive and that other places would be better to visit.


So stop number 1, Victoria's Secret. Here is one hint for you readers, the secret is that they do not carry garters. So stop number 2, a wedding place called White Elegance. Now here is where the real story took place. We walk in and quickly realize that this is a very religious wedding boutique. However, one glance to our left and we see a display of bands of lace and ribbon and think, perfect we have hit the jackpot! We run over and look up and down the options. She picks some up and feels them, and me being the task oriented person I am wonders what is taking so long to make a decision. I hurriedly encourage her to pick whichever she would like, as they all look pretty and white (the only two criteria we had). As she is holding one she mentions that they seem rather stiff. I dismiss this comment, mostly thinking that I never would have noticed that, when she looks over with wide eyes and says there is a problem. I look confused as I can see nothing stopping us from picking one and going. That is when she points to the tag which labels these lace and ribbon displays not as garters so much as "Infant Headbands". Oh yes, at that moment the woman working there asks if we need assistance. As we burst into laughter we explain that we are actually looking for a garter rather than a baby's hair accessory. She looks mortified at us and suggests we go to Dirty Joe's, because apparently garters now belong in a sex shop.


So as we leave White Elegance and head over to, you guessed it, David's Bridal. We are pleased to find a display of actual garters that are not only labeled as such, but also on sale. At the end of the day, a garter was bought, a groom made happy and a memory created that I will think of every time I see a baby with a white lace and ribbon headband on.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Wish I could have been there and I am SOOO jealous you were. I miss my soul sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I also had a surprisingly hard time finding a garter, and I also ended up at David's Bridal. I liked them though, because they sold them in packs of two - a toss garter and one for the bride to keep. Mine is now hanging from our rearview mirror. Which is probably kind of weird.
    Also props to you for being such a great friend and helping with last-minute running around! Hope you had a great time at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete